Kindle vs iPad: Comparing devices
In a debate between Kindle vs iPad, both devices have their own strengths and disadvantages, making it very difficult to pinpoint which device stands out from the other.
Both Amazon Kindle and Apple iPad are superb electronic devices that provide unmatched reading and experience for their users. In a relentless pursuit of maximum value, both devices are packed with world-class features and impressive novelties to draw readers in.
While both devices are excellent devices, they differentiate from each other in many ways. Let’s find out which is the one that offers the best experience to the reader.
Screen and Display
6-inch, E Ink Carta; 300 PPI screen resolution, 1080 x 1430
9.7-inch; Intel Hd Graphics, 2048x1536
dual-core 1.80 GHz 64-bit
512MB of RAM
2 GB of RAM
up to 3 weeks
8GB or 32GB
32 or 128 GB
6.8 oz (191 g)
6.6” x 4.6” x 0.3” ( 167 x 116 x 8.18 mm)
9.4 x 0.3 x 6.6 inches
Free Cellular+Wi-Fi; Bluetooth
Buttons for Page-Turn
- 1. The Kindle is thinner, lighter, more compact, and portable. Easier to hold in one hand when you read.
- 2. Books are a lot cheaper on the Kindle store compared to Apple Store.
- 3. With the full backing of AT&T, the 3G and Wifi connectivity, the iPad is much more powerful.
- 4. Kindles tend to have better battery life compared to its rival.
- 5. The Kindle is affordable whereas the iPad is a little more expensive.
- 6. The iPad has blue tooth capabilities.
- 7. The iPad has more applications available.
- The thinnest, lightest Kindle Paperwhite yet-with a flush-front design and 300 ppi...
- Now waterproof, so you're free to read and relax at the beach, by the pool, or in the...
- Enjoy twice the storage with 8 GB. Or choose 32 GB to hold more magazines, comics,...
- Now with Audible. Pair with Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen to your story.
- 9.7-inch Retina display, wide color and true tone
- A9 third-generation chip with 64-bit architecture
- M9 motion coprocessor
- 1.2MP FaceTime HD camera
Kindle vs iPad for reading
The Apple device is sufficient when the reader only wants to read a chosen book. However, for better reading features such as the ability to underscore, highlight, and write notes on the side, one will need to buy Amazon’s device. These features are prominent since the Amazon machine is designed specifically to suit the readers’ needs.
It also allows one to synchronize reading since it allows the user to use tools such as bookmarking. This feature will allow the reader to continue reading that was cut short in a different environment.
The Kindle Paperwhite 3G is Amazon’s ebook reader that solely serves the purpose of reading. For hardcore readers, it is the best option. Given the price range, it is highly affordable.
On the other hand, the Apple Air tablet is a multipurpose, versatile device. It has varied functions other than just reading and is best suited for occasional readers who want more out of a tablet. Users can do much more than just reading books.
They can download and watch movies, play games, and access the internet, but also use the tablet as a device that encompasses all capabilities of a netbook or a PC.
Reading on Amazon Kindle vs iPad
Choose an e-reader that is good for your eyes
When reading books on an ebook reader, a very important aspect is to choose a device that protects your eyes. Especially if you have long-lasting reading sessions. Reading for hours can cause you eyestrain or even affect your eyes in a negative way. So choose carefully.
1. Is reading books on iPad giving eye strain?
The iPad strains eyes easily.
Given the attractive color settings in iPad, e-books, magazines, and newspapers are pleasurable to read on the tablet, however not suited for prolonged reading.
2. Is reading books on Kindle bad for the eyes?
In a short answer, NO.
Kindle has crisp and clearly formatted text. The Paperwhite e-reader is suited for extensive reading. It is also readable in direct light while the iPad is not suitable for outdoors reading.
Choose a Kindle if you read a lot
The best thing when reading on a Paperwhite is that you won’t get eyestrains.
Another feature that enables the Paperwhite to be the best choice is the ability to conserve power for a long time. Up to two weeks making the e-reader a great device that one can use in reading in quiet and calm regions that most writers hide out to read.
Writers and some readers have been known to hide out in cabins in the woods to write or read books, and one feature that is associated with these places is the unavailability of electricity. Having a device that will require to be charged every 10 hours will be more of a nuisance as compared to one that will last weeks.
Choose a Kindle if you like reading outside
Is the Kindle worth it? iPad is superior in terms of reading outside due to its e-ink technology. This will allow one to read without any problems outdoors or even in direct sunlight.
Also, if you love to read by the pool, at the seaside, or near water locations the fact that the Paperwhite is waterproof gives an edge over the Apple’s tablet.
Choose an iPad if you like to read Comic books or Magazines
The iPad is superior when you want to read rich book illustrations, graphs, and more because the Kindle lacks the color feature on their device. Also, the fact that the screen is larger with a 10-inch screen size makes Apple more convenient to read magazines, watching videos, and movies.
Kindle or iPad for kid: Choose an iPad if you read to your Kids
When reading books to your kids it is better that your device has more colors. Kids interact better with a device that displays more colorful images. They will easily get bored if you read them on an Amazon ebook reader. Find a rich illustration book to read with your children. Your studying time together will be just great.
Which one is best for reading: Kindle or iPad?
This should be an easy question, right?
One advantage of using them for reading is that they will adapt to fit the user’s needs such as posture and guarantee more comfort as opposed to print media and using the PC.
The differences in reading between these two ebook readers are many because they are targeted by different means.
You can say that the Kindle is a device created solely for the purpose to read ebooks. It is not multifunctional and its design and functionality are simply there to help the customer to have the best possible experience with ebooks. That’s its only purpose and it does it well.
The Apple machine is something that does many things but does it do it in the best possible way?
When it comes down to simply reading ebooks, the dispute seems easy to solve.
Apple’s device can seem flashy and modern but when it comes down to everyday functionality, would you use it?
It’s heavier and larger than Amazon’s Paperwhite or Fire, so if you want to spend your day around the city reading your favorite ebook throughout the day, would you carry it in your bag with you?
It can be appealing to know that you have a device that does so many things and can be used for pretty much anything. However, if you are simply a book lover, this topic should not matter, and you might consider buying the Amazon e-reader instead.
However comparing these two ereaders, is a little like comparing apples with oranges. They are both beautiful devices in their own right, with wonderful innovative technology but they both serve quite different purposes. Only you can decide which one is the best for you in this hot debate!
What format does Kindle use for books ?
Amazon’s machine uses AZW format. Nevertheless, any other format like PDF, Jpeg, HTML, Plain Text, PNG, BMP, etc can be easily converted to readable format on both devices.
Books can be downloaded from the Amazon store. Amazon has over a huge 6.000.000 book titles available. Kindle books can also be downloaded and read on smartphones and a computer using an app.
Amazon’s device uses Whispernet technology that allows sending and receiving of content easily. It allows contents to whisper sync and can be opened in any other device at the very same place where it was left opened.
What format does iPad use for books ?
Apple’s device uses a universal e-pub format. You can also easily convert PDF, Jpeg, HTML, Plain Text, PNG, BMP, to a readable format. Books for Apple machines can only be read through an iPad or iPhone.
Both devices use their own native formats. Books on Apple machines are downloaded from Apple iBookstore.
Both the Amazon and Apple ebook stores have a huge stock of books ranging from Fiction, nonfiction, Science, Business, Comics, children’s books and also offer wide varieties of magazines and newspapers.
There are over 100,000 e-books available for download onto an Apple tablet.
Books for both can be located at numerous other websites and can be downloaded by paying a one-time fee as opposed to paying each time while buying a book on the Apple store or Amazon.
Apple iPad Pros
- You can use the Microsoft Office suite to create documents, create presentations, share documents, create forms such as invoices, and type, write or dictate notes.
- Host online video meetings.
- Use iTunes Home Sharing to access the musical content from your iTunes library anywhere in the house via your Mac or PC via Wi-Fi.
- Stream videos through AirPlay to the big screen.
- Use video mirroring to connect your device to a high definition TV which will then mirror what is on the screen in whichever orientation you hold it.
- Automatically sync between all of your Apple machines using iCloud. Download a song or take a photo on one and it appears on any others.
- You can use the side switch on the device to lock in the screen orientation or use it as a mute switch.
Amazon Kindle Pros
In this debate, it is important to keep in mind exactly which each device was created for. The Amazon device is primarily an ebook reader but with a lot of other cool features.
- You can choose from millions of ebooks; bestsellers, comic books, magazines, newspapers, children’s books, and classics including thousands of free books. The low cost of the books even has been a great bonus for this book lover!
- You can read and send emails using Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail AOL, etc as well as email Word and PDF documents to your device.
- Surf the Internet using the ultra-fast Amazon Silk, the cloud-accelerated web browser. The Fire machine also has a 1GHz dual-core processor same as the Apple second generation.
- Stream your music from Amazon Cloud Drive or download songs and listen to them on Fire tablet. There are 18 million songs to choose from in the Amazon store.
- Store your digital content in the cloud using Amazon Cloud – books, movies, music, and apps can be downloaded or streamed instantly.
- Amazon Whispersync allows you to sync your library with more than one device – last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights. The Fire tablet also syncs videos with your TV.
- Thousands of the most popular apps available including a paid app for free every day.
- When you purchase a Fire tablet you receive a free month of Amazon Prime. This monthly membership includes unlimited, instant streaming of more than 10,000 TV shows and movies, access to thousands of ebooks through the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library, and free two-day shipping on millions of articles purchased through the Amazon.com store. This is an outstanding feature if you watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books and/or buy from Amazon.com.
Kindle vs Ipad: Final Verdict
The key question is not whether the iPad is a superior tablet to the Kindle. There is no denying it is. The key question is what do you intend to use your tablet for once you have purchased it?
If you love to read novels, and you read for hours, then the best choice is to choose Paperwhite.
If you want to read newspapers, rich image blogs, or magazines it’s better to go with the iPad.
5 Reasons why Kindle is better for reading than the iPad:
- 1. Is light enough to hold in one hand.
- 2. Up to two weeks of battery life which is impressive.
- 3. Great for reading outdoors and waterproof resistant.
- 4. Amazon Prime members can borrow books as well as stream thousands of popular TV shows and movies.
- 5. Apps allow the device content to be used on just about any other machine including all Apple tablets which makes Amazon content a lot more versatile.
Last update on 2021-05-03 / This post contains Affiliate links.