In today’s digital age, e-readers have become a popular choice for book lovers who crave the convenience of carrying an entire library in their hands. Sony has been at the forefront of e-reader technology, and their Touch PRS-600 is a prime example of their innovative approach to reading.
With its advanced touch technology, the Sony Touch PRS-600 promises to revolutionize your reading experience. In this comprehensive Sony Touch PRS-600 Review, we’ll take a closer look at this feature-packed e-reader, from its sleek design to its performance and usability. If you’re looking for a cutting-edge e-reader that takes reading to a whole new level, then join us as we explore the Sony Touch PRS-600 and discover why it’s a game-changer in the world of e-reading.
Sony Touch PRS-600 standout features
When it comes to e-readers, the Sony Touch PRS-600 stands out in terms of its unique features and capabilities. This device offers an intuitive and user-friendly touchscreen interface that makes navigating through books and documents a breeze.
One of the standout features of the Sony Touch PRS-600 is its 6-inch E Ink Vizplex display, which delivers high contrast and clarity, making reading a pleasure. The device also features 16 levels of grayscale, which ensures that images and text appear sharp and crisp. The touchscreen interface on the PRS-600 is highly responsive, and users can easily turn pages with a simple swipe of their finger.
Another great feature of the Sony Touch PRS-600 is its support for a wide range of file formats, including EPUB, PDF, TXT, RTF, and more. This means that users can read virtually any type of document on this device, without having to worry about file compatibility issues.
The Sony Touch PRS-600 also features a built-in dictionary, which can be accessed simply by tapping on a word while reading. This makes it easy to look up definitions without having to pause your reading experience.
[amazon box=”B002R5UYXY” title=”PRS-600″]
Sony Touch PRS-600 review:
The Sony Touch PRS-600 is a sleek and sophisticated e-reader that promises to elevate your reading experience to new heights with its advanced touch technology.
From its impressive design to its intuitive touch capabilities, we’ll explore how the Sony Touch PRS-600 sets itself apart in the competitive e-reader market. Whether you’re a book enthusiast or an avid reader on the go, this review will provide you with all the details you need to know about the Sony Touch PRS-600.
Its design is quite sleek and elegant, with a matte-finish aluminum back cover and a touch-sensitive screen that allowed users to easily turn pages, highlight text, and take notes.
The Sony Touch PRS-600 has a 6-inch E Ink display with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, which was quite impressive at the time. The screen was also glare-free, making it easy to read even in bright sunlight.
One of the standout design features of the Sony Touch PRS-600 was its slim profile, which made it easy to carry around and hold for extended periods of time. It weighed just 10 ounces, which was quite lightweight compared to other ebook readers on the market at the time.
The device had a minimalist design, with only a few buttons on the front and sides. The buttons were well-placed and easy to use, making it simple to navigate through the ebook library and access different functions.
Sony PRS 600 is incredibly well built, feels sturdy when you hold it, and is available in a neat, black color.
Size and Weight
The device is less small and lighter than a regular book or magazine. The size of the Sony PRS 600 is 168mm long, 118.9mm wide and just 9.6 mm thick.
The total weight of the device is just 220 grams (still 50 grams heavier than the Kindle).
Screen & Display
The e-reader has a 6-inch screen (800×600 pixels) that uses E-Ink technology which allows you to read your books even in direct sunlight without any glare.
E-Ink technology is comprised of micro-particles, which are designed to mimic the look and feel of ink on paper. The effect this has on your reading is that it makes it much easier on your eyes (reduces eyestrain). Also, it’s using much less power consumption than an LDC screen such as the one on the iPad2.
You can literally read from this device for hours on end just like a normal book without your eyes drying up or feeling tired.
The touch-screen navigation is a particular benefit to this device. The touch screen model also makes it stand out from other eBook readers such as the Kindle (which uses a touchpad keyboard). You can use your fingers to swipe across the page or access the menu at the bottom.
You can go back or forward a page, change the font, access the 12 language dictionary, and zoom in/out at the tap of your finger.
The reader also contains a free hand stylus that allows you to highlight, annotate words, write messages or take notes.
Hardware, Connectivity and Storage Capacity
The device offers 512 MB of internal storage and the Sony Touch’s Lithium-Ion battery is supposed to offer up to 7,500-page turns. Or the equivalent of reading 30 books before it runs out of power.
This is exceptional. I can also tell you that even when you listen to MP3 songs on this device the battery still lasts a decent amount of time. It also supports a memory expansion slot, which increases the number of books you can save on your device.
The biggest software advantage of buying a Sony PRS-600 over the Kindle is that the Sony device supports a range of file formats including ePub, BBeB, PDF, TXT and MS Word. Unlike the Kindle, you can also download and save books to your computer. If you want you can use a Memory or SD stick slot.
Many users think this is better than Amazon’s model, where you never technically “own” a book, you are just leasing it. The downside of the Kindle is that there are no exterior memory ports and if you accidentally delete your books then you have no other hard copy.
The Sony Touch PRS-600 offers a reliable battery life that ensures extended reading sessions without the need for frequent recharging. With its efficient E Ink technology, the e-reader can last for weeks on a single charge, depending on usage patterns. This is a significant advantage for avid readers who do not want to be constantly tethered to a power source and prefer the freedom to read for long periods without interruptions.
In terms of storage capacity, the Sony Touch PRS-600 comes with ample internal storage that can accommodate thousands of e-books. The exact storage capacity may vary depending on the model and firmware, but it generally offers enough space to store a vast collection of books, documents, and other reading materials. Users can also expand the storage capacity by using external memory cards, further increasing the device’s versatility and convenience.
Usability for Different Reading Scenarios
One of the key strengths of the Sony Touch PRS-600 is its usability across different reading scenarios. Whether you’re reading at home, on your daily commute, or while traveling, this e-reader offers a versatile and user-friendly experience.
At home, the Sony Touch PRS-600 provides a comfortable and convenient way to read your favorite books in a cozy environment. You can customize the font size, style, and margins to suit your preference, and adjust the brightness to your liking, ensuring a comfortable reading experience that meets your unique needs.
During your daily commute, the Sony Touch PRS-600 offers a portable and lightweight solution for reading on the go. Its slim and sleek design makes it easy to slip into your bag or pocket, and its long battery life ensures that you won’t run out of power during your commute. You can quickly and easily flip through pages, highlight important passages, and make notes, all with the convenience of the touch screen or physical buttons.
When traveling, the Sony Touch PRS-600 becomes a valuable companion for book lovers who want to bring their entire library with them. With its ample storage capacity, you can store thousands of books in one device, eliminating the need to carry heavy physical books. Its Wi-Fi connectivity also allows you to download e-books on the go, giving you access to a wide range of reading materials no matter where you are. The high-resolution E Ink Pearl display ensures that you can comfortably read for hours without straining your eyes, making it perfect for long flights or train rides.
Additionally, the Sony Touch PRS-600 offers a seamless reading experience for students and researchers. With its built-in dictionary, you can easily look up definitions and word meanings as you read, which is especially helpful for academic or technical materials. You can also highlight important passages, make annotations, and bookmark pages for future reference, allowing you to easily revisit key information when needed.
Sony Touch PRS-600 Pros and Cons
- Touch Screen Technology: One of the standout features of the Sony Touch PRS-600 is its touch screen technology, which allows for easy and intuitive navigation. You can simply swipe or tap the screen to turn pages, select options, and make annotations, providing a seamless and interactive reading experience. The touch screen is responsive and accurate, making it a breeze to use, even for users who are new to e-readers.
- Multiple File Format Support: The Sony Touch PRS-600 supports a wide range of file formats, including EPUB, PDF, and TXT, making it compatible with a diverse array of e-books and documents. This means you can access and read books from various online bookstores, borrow e-books from libraries, or transfer your own files to the device with ease.
- Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity: The Sony Touch PRS-600 comes with built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, which allows you to easily connect to the internet and access online bookstores, download e-books, and sync your reading progress across devices.
- Unique Features: The Sony Touch PRS-600 offers some unique features that set it apart from other e-readers on the market. For example, it has a “Quick Page” feature that allows you to skim through the pages of a book quickly, making it easy to locate specific content or navigate through lengthy documents.
- Customization Options: The Sony Touch PRS-600 offers a range of customization options that allow you to tailor your reading experience to your preferences. You can choose from different font sizes, styles, and margins to suit your reading comfort, and adjust the brightness level to your liking, ensuring optimal readability in different lighting conditions.
- Limited Storage Capacity: While the Sony Touch PRS-600 comes with internal storage, the capacity may be limited, depending on the model and firmware version. This means you may need to manage your library carefully to avoid running out of space for your e-books and documents.
- Lack of Backlight: Unlike some other e-readers on the market, the Sony Touch PRS-600 does not come with a built-in backlight. This means you may need an external light source for reading in low-light conditions, such as during night-time or in dimly lit rooms.
- Slow Refresh Rate: The E Ink Pearl display used in the Sony Touch PRS-600 has a slower refresh rate compared to LCD screens, which may result in slight lag or ghosting when turning pages or scrolling through content.
- Limited Audio Capability: Unlike some other e-readers, the Sony Touch PRS-600 does not have built-in speakers or audio capabilities. This means you won’t be able to listen to audiobooks or play audio files directly on the device.
In conclusion, the Sony Touch PRS-600 was a groundbreaking e-reader when it was first released. Its standout features included its responsive touchscreen, stylus input, and annotation capabilities, making it a popular choice for academics and professionals.
Its design, while sleek and compact, was not as durable as some other e-readers on the market. Additionally, its limited battery life and lack of Wi-Fi connectivity made it less appealing to those looking for a more modern e-reading experience.
However, for those looking for a basic, yet effective e-reader for academic and professional purposes, the Sony Touch PRS-600 was a solid choice. Its touchscreen and stylus input made it easy to annotate and take notes, while its compact design made it convenient to carry around.